Topic: My impressions of the game.

Hello.

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to try the game and have fun with it. I appreciate the work you have done.

I spent a couple of hours playing the game. I played the tutorial twice, co-op with 2 players, and co-op alone.

Good things about the game:

It feels solid. I never encountered any noticeable bugs. The commands are responsive. Everything seems to work the way it should be.
The graphics are not top-notch as you know but are already good, in the way that everything is pretty and understandable.
Good lag. The servers are always up.
Menus are fluid and well designed.
The game is fun to play, the mechanics of the player and the weapons are well done.
Good AI.

The bad:

The difficulty of the game is frustrating. On easy mode with only one player vs AI it's impossible to me to win the game. If this is easy mode i can only imagine doom difficulty. The enemies are too strong, the spawning is never ending.
The boss spider can kill me without i even scratch her.
I don't understand the strategy of the game. Most of the time i'm trying to protect my base, with great difficulty. From time to time it says the "Horde is retreating" but that's a lie, because they keep on attacking. And after a brief moment of "retreating" they start to attack again.
The player, and the guns are too weak comparing to the spiders. It takes 2-3 shots to kill the weakest spiders with the disc-shooter.
The mines and grenades are kind of useless to me. Although i think it's a fun concept shooting grenades with the space key, i find it frustrating.  If i want to fire a grenade at long range, and the range is not that long, i have to be pressing space key like 2 sec or more. So by the time i throw the grenade the enemy is already on top of me.
The mines only explode with the really big spiders, so the less big ones pass through the mines without harm. I don't like that.
The weapons  damage is weak comparing to the endurance of the spiders.
I have to constantly recharge my ammo, and it takes a lot of time recharging it, seeing that the spiders are always attacking and i can't attack while recharging!
Friendly fire sucks! I take damage from my team mates and  i take damage from my turrets. The rocket turret damages itself, i think that's dumb! My buildings take damage from me, so when i'm protecting my buildings and enemies are attacking them i end up harming both. I find this very frustrating.
The energy wears out fast if i'm shooting and protecting myself, which occurs most of the time.
The medikit only gives a little health and i only have one. Wow, what a help that is!
I get very little xp and points from the game. And i either kill the spider queen (which i can't do alone) or have to try to survive for 20min to get little money and xp as a reward.
Everytime i die and re-spawn i have to re-equip my gear...
There are some items around to pick up, but they are useless because i already have them or i don't need them.
Spiders don't drop life and energy very often.

At this moment i don't think i will play the game alone anymore, as i come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. I can never win the game alone and the grind to become more powerful is way too slow.
The enemies are much stronger than me and i'm always outnumbered (On easy mode!). My armor, weapons and energy are weak comparing to the enemies. Friendly fire is a bitch. I can't even get near the Spider Queen without getting almost one shoted.
All of this is frustrating to me.

I hope I was helpful. Cheers.

Re: My impressions of the game.

Hi,

thank you for your detailed post: your feedback is really helpful!

Curado wrote:

On easy mode with only one player vs AI it's impossible to me to win the game

I have to agree with you, the Co-op Aracnophobia matches are very challenging in single player. The truth is that the Easy difficulty is "easy" with 3 or more players, it's not intended to be played alone. We'll start thinking about new levels specifically tuned for playing solo or 2 players. In the meantime, I've already updated the dev version to soften the Aracnophobia a bit. Now you'll get a Defender on your side when playing alone, and the spiders will be a bit slower and weaker.

Curado wrote:

From time to time it says the "Horde is retreating" but that's a lie

You may have experienced a bug... I'm pretty confident that when it says so, they're retreating indeed (well, most of them).

Curado wrote:

The mines and grenades are kind of useless to me.

The mines don't explode with the small spiders because it will be a waste (considering that 1 mine explosion could cause a chain-reaction and trigger all of them). In the dev version I have already tweaked that parameter. Now the mines explode with smaller spiders too, but not with the baby-spiders (we don't want to harm them, do we? smile )
The hand grenades are a bit tricky. Their advantage is that you can throw them while you're shooting with your main weapon (so we just SPACE-spam when in trouble smile ). You gave me an idea to improve their usefulness, though. I've slightly increased their range, and now they explode immediately on contact with a foe. It looks fun!

Curado wrote:

The energy wears out fast if i'm shooting and protecting myself, which occurs most of the time.
The medikit only gives a little health and i only have one. Wow, what a help that is!

That's probably because you are shooting with the Ion Gun, which drains energy instead of ammunitions. You'll have to switch to the Disc Launcher or Chaingun to effectively shoot and regenerate at the same time.
The Light Armor carries a single Medikit (or 2 with the Increased Ammo skill). Medium and Heavy armors carry more. It should be noted that the Medikit is an "emergency healing". You'll be safer with a Repair Module.

Curado wrote:

I get very little xp and points from the game

We are trying to balance that, but without a proper community playing the game is quite hard to do it right.

Thank you again for your time and precious feedback. In the next days we'll release an update including the improvements discussed here.
I hope to see you in game again! cool

3 (edited by Curado 2014-08-05 17:10:05)

Re: My impressions of the game.

Thanks for the reply, and for listening.

Here's the game I told you about: Games of Glory

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =283567496

It has similar mechanics to Blaze i think, but may not be so good in certain aspects. Although it looks like a serious competitor do Blaze.

I'll keep playing and checking out Blaze.